What you’ll be doing...
The MapQuest.io team works on a spatial intelligence product and platform. This is a new and exciting product, which has potentials customers in the IoT space, as well as wherever information about the location of devices is important.
Our goal is to build APIs and interfaces that are easy to use for the widest range of developers, and to quickly deliver intelligence about device location, either through the web front end or through automatic APIs.
As a member of the MapQuest.io team, you must be a team player, taking pride in the product as a whole, no matter which part you worked on. We value team members that always seek what they can do to make the whole product or team work better. We use many technologies: web, mobile, and back-end, and you have the opportunity to learn any that interest you.
You will be primarily responsible for the core services and API to the product, which has a ton of complex and interesting problems to solve having to do with the location of many devices in time and space and efficiently processing other sensor data coming from those devices.
Your responsibilities include:
1. New Features - Engineers will take user stories, deconstruct them into tasks, design the features as a team, and execute upon those tasks in 1 week sprints (or as the team process defines).
2. Technical Debt reduction - The team has a sense of pride and ownership in what we do. To maintain that, we always seek to undo old hacks or shortcuts, improve the systems we have, and implement better ways of doing things, without requiring that the business ask us to do so.
3. Problem Solving - Thousands of developers and businesses use MapQuest services in new and interesting ways each day. They constantly challenge us with new use cases for our own products, as well as new combinations we never considered.
4. System Health - We have large production systems that have to keep running. Were always working to improve monitoring, up-time, performance, and scalability.
5. Executing on Brilliant Ideas - The team is always looking to be ahead of the customer. We are always working on our own projects too, dreamed up inside the team, to improve the product whether its on a day-to-day basis or on dedicated Hack Days.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Computer Science degree preferred.
- Strong Scala experience.
- Experience with Akka actor system a strong plus
- Experience with streaming technologies such as Kafka a strong plus
- AWS and Jenkins deployment automation a major plus.
- Experience in any spatial or mapping technologies a plus.
- Experience in Agile development methodologies.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written; conveys ideas in a logical order and professional manner.
- Experience or willingness to work in a group environment - code pairing, mob programming, and group design sessions are the norm for our team.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6784041-senior-software-engineer-api-technologies
• Post ID: 36834623 denver