The operating room (OR) charge nurse demonstrates skills as a resource person and liaison between the specialty team members, other staff members, surgeons, and vendors. The charge nurse assists with the overall management of patient care in the OR, supervises all staff, assists with performance evaluations, counseling and coaching of staff, hiring, and day to day operational supervision. The charge nurse is responsible for ensuring department compliance with state, federal, and healthcare regulatory agencies. The charge nurse works closely with Clinical Nurse Coordinators (CNCs) to ensure that surgical procedures performed by specialty team members or other surgery staff members are thoroughly prepared prior to surgery. The charge nurse verifies the accuracy of preference cards and the OR schedule. The charge nurse works closely with the surgery schedulers to streamline and verify the flow of the OR schedule. The charge nurse coordinates specialty (equipment, special order supplies, etc.) items with the specialty team leaders and materials management staff to ensure their availability. The charge nurse assists with the orientation of new employees. The charge nurse prepares budgets for capital and expense budgets for submittal to the Director of Surgical Services. The charge nurse serves as an excellent role model and provides leadership for staff members and demonstrates self-direction with excellent prioritization skills. The charge nurse assumes responsibility for and engages in activities that develop and maintain clinical expertise and professional skills. The charge nurse will also function in other nursing duties within the department as needed. The charge nurse performs delegated duties consistent with the scope of practice and functions within the philosophy and overall plan of care at Sky Ridge Medical Center (SRMC). The charge nurse supports and follows SRMC policy and procedures. The charge nurse displays positive support for the values and mission of SRMC. The charge nurse provides patient care utilizing the nursing process – assessment, care planning, implementation, and reassessment – for identified patient population per the Colorado Nurse Practice Act. Documents patient care administered. The charge nurse promotes interdisciplinary communication and care. The delivery of care is based on the age, physical, psychosocial, cultural, safety and learning needs of the individual patient. The charge nurse demonstrates basic and unit specific competencies. The charge nurse supervises contract and employee RN, MST, CST, ST, anesthesia technician, and unit secretary. The position requires call.
Leads, coaches, develops, and recognizes staff to maximize performance and growth.
1. Supervises personnel providing direct patient care, with delegation of activities based on patient care needs and competencies of available patient care staff.
2. Provides direct and ongoing supervision of staff with regard to conflict resolution and personnel policy compliance, including input and/or completion of performance evaluations and disciplinary actions.
3. Assumes responsibility for resolving and/or channeling employee grievances according to appropriate procedures.
4. Teaches, supervises and serves as a resource for staff, assists with clinical procedures as needed.
5. Assesses need for and assists in implementation of staff development programs to enhance professional growth of personnel.
6. Facilitates ongoing performance improvement activities which correlate to the Hospital-wide Performance Improvement Program with involvement of all levels of staff on designated shift as appropriate.
7. Formulates staff schedule along with the Clinical Coordinator/Director.
8. Makes assignments for the present or following shift to provide for smooth transition and ensures appropriate assignments throughout shift to cover changing patient needs and staff availability due to absences, breaks, etc.
9. Self-assigns patients and functions as necessary based on patient needs and available resources on unit.
10. Communicates directly with the director/manager on unit and staff performance issues needing attention.
11. Maintains effective utilization and maintenance of manpower, equipment, and supplies
Click here for more info: https://hca.taleo.net/careersection/0hca/jobdetail.ftl?job=08936-62294&lang=en
• Post ID: 34059793 denver